Monday, June 1, 2009

Morning Food & Escapades

I have the least inspiration when it comes to breakfast. If it were just me, I'd have oatmeal w/ honey & cranberries or apples every day. But, only 2 of my children will eat oatmeal. Probably the thing we eat the most often is home-made yogurt w/ granola & fruit or pancakes. I love trying out new granola recipes. Here is one I tried this weekend that is a my new favorite. It's called "Crunchy Granola."

I didn't make it exactly like the recipe, however. I didn't have any dried fruit except raisins and we all like granola without fruit in it anyway. Instead of doing 1 c wheat germ, I used 1/2 c wheat germ and 1/2 c oat bran. I increased the amount of almonds and I also put in a tsp of almond extract. I also added sesame seeds & flax seeds.

Oh, it smelled heavenly!! It makes a lot of granola. It tastes wonderful in our yogurt. Another neat thing is I used the maple syrup we made from our own maple trees this past Spring.

I don't need to add sweetener to the yogurt when I add granola. This morning I made pancakes and was in early-morning-not-enough-coffee-yet-mode. Alongside me was Susanna who wakes up ready to zip into the day. She asked me to make heart pancakes with sprinkles. So, I did-no problem.




Aren't they pretty? The only thing was that she kept asking me questions-she was firing them at me one after another...

"Is Grammy blind?" (no)

"Is Grammy's hair grey?" (yes)

"Then why isn't she blind?" (huh?)

"Do you die when you get old?" (umm...yes, sometimes)

"Well, is Grammy going to die-because she's old." (not yet)

"But, she has grey hair, so she's old." (but, she's not ready to die yet...and grey hair doesn't always mean you're old-Aunt Chris got grey hair when she was 20.)

"Aunt Chris doesn't have grey hair!" (that's because she dyes it.)

"She killed it?" (no, she colors it a different color. Oh, help!)

"So, when do people die?" (only God knows the day & time that happens. Umm...can you go and see what Daddy's doing?)

"He's in the bathroom. Mom, do you think Daddy has big feet?" (sure...here's your pancakes-eat up. Don't talk while you eat, ok?) LOL

While she ate, I finished my first cup of coffee & started a second to get ready for the next barrage of questions. Thankfully, she got distracted by wanting to show Daddy how she can ride her pony after breakfast.
I imagine, however, that we'll be talking more about dying later, though. Every so often, she has days when she asks about that a lot. Usually, the conversation involves one of our dogs that died, her grandfather that died and 2 dogs that did not die, but are gone from here (they were guide dog puppies that went back). But, in her mind, they're all gone from here, so it seems the same thing to her, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Holly!

    Thanks for stopping by and subbing. I love your family blog. :)

    I used to make granola once in a while, long ago, but I remember I quit because it was expensive to make. Have you found a good economical version?

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE homemade granola! Thanks for a variation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the conversation! There have been a few talks like that over the years in my house, too.

    I have never made my own granola - but I printing this out to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete