Friday, January 13, 2012
Awake?
Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Awake.
Awake? I wonder...we go about our days busy with our own things & many of those day I wonder if I really am awake...or if others are. Lately I've been feeling more & more awake to the misfortunes & devastations of others-people and animals. I've had nights where I've been awake thinking that at that very moment while I'm awake in my own warm bed, someone is not. And I am fearful as to what they may be going through at that very moment...and I pray for them-nameless, faceless, unknown to me, but not to God. Not to God...
And when I mention on facebook something to this affect, someone tells me that they go on fb for entertainment-not to be depressed. And I am speechless. Maybe that is why we're not awake-too much entertainment, too much not wanting to know about the plight of others: young girls sold into sexual slavery, babies aborted, children abused, dogs fighting to the death, horses who were once loved by people & trusted them in the kill chutes in a Mexican slaughterhouse where they are "humanely" slaughtered, dolphins rounded up & stabbed to death in Japan...
Yeah, it's overwhelming, I know. It's easier not to be awake. I guess I understand. I'd like to block the horrors out, too, but I cannot for their sake. Oh, God...Oh, God!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I haven't tried one of these 5 minute Fridays yet, you did a good job with this one. Good points. :)
ReplyDeleteI did this meme this week, too. I guess that I was not "awake" enough to pay attention to the topic...hehe!
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed catching up with you today. I hope to keep seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in my quest to be more organized and stay on top of things.
(((hugs))) Tamara
Hugs to you! I think being awake is a good thing. People who only want to be entertained are sticking their heads in the sand - not where they are meant to be. It is our responsibility to be awake to the needs of others.
ReplyDeleteHi Holly!! It's Bridget!! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner! I DO have a family blog that I haven't updated in a while and need to!!! I got so busy getting my Knitting Maniac blog going, I got sidetracked!!! It is http://purityseekers.wordpress.com/ and I also transferred all of my homeschoolblogger posts there :) I really like wordpress and one of these days may end up moving all my blogs there, but for now I'm just keepin' things the way they are to make my life easier!!!! It's GREAT to hear from you!!!!!
ReplyDelete