First, we're going to finish the Maple Syrup. :)
And here's the pics of us getting started 2 weeks ago:

We had a ton of snow right before tapping. This is Susanna walking in her father's footsteps. :)

Jonah & Fletcher coming back with a tool we forgot. That fence is to the outdoor arena we put in last summer-we all worked to do it together-it's a good memory. My dh & I talked thru many subjects about the children-especially Hannah & her injured barrel horse. I cried many tears while holding boards as my husband drilled them to posts. And he did a lot of listening. And holding me b/w posts. It's neat how I can look back to that painful place & now see joy and a healed horse and a daughter with more faith & trust in God than she had before. Isn't it funny how a fence can make me think about all that?

This is so cool and the next pic is even cooler.

I love seeing my boy do this kind of thing. His cousin, Daniel, said when he saw this pic that Jonah looked like a pile of leaves with jeans. lol

The sap ran really well the first week, but not the second week. We should have tapped a week earlier. We don't think the sap season is done yet-we hope, anyway!
So far we've gotten about 40 gallons of sap. This past weekend we boiled it down. I enjoyed that part because we made time to all sit around the woodstove out in the barn & visit while it boiled. We also had fun quizzing Hannah on her horse questions for her upcoming quizbowl competition thru 4-H. It was a crazy weekend w/ lots of running kids here & there-and horses, too. I'm glad we made the time to just sit. The thick maple smell & the heat from the stove was like a lullaby. Made us all very sleepy.
So, from 40 gallons of sap, we ended up with 2 quarts of delicious maple syrup. Someone said to me they thought that was an awful lot of work & not much to show for it. But, I know better. And pancakes the next morning tasted SO good.
Wow - 40 gallons reduces to 2quarts? Amazing! I'm sure we could come up with some kind of biblical analogy there....
ReplyDeleteI love your fence memories. So special!!! It reminds me of when I was expecting my daughter about 13 years ago. We built a gate for a very particular driveway and it involved me almost doing the splits to hold the wood in place while my hubby hammered the boards together. I thought I would go into labour in that position from laughing so much. There is something very special about constructing things together!!
It's wrong to covet...It's wrong to covet...hehe! Oh, I would love to learn how to do this and enjoy the harvest.
ReplyDeleteMy grandpa used to tap trees and my grandma would make the most delicious maple syrup! I miss it! I was always surprised at how little syrup you got once it was boiled down, but it was definitely worth it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. I don't have tons of time to post, but I'm trying to write at least 1 or 2 a month. :-) It was good to hear from you again. Your blog here is beautiful!