Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Catching Up

Where to begin?? I am so behind on my blogging & have been missing it! We've been busy with daily living, schooling, animals, 4-H...I'd like to share a few pics of things the kids have done. Here's a birdfeeder Susanna made. She gathered things from outside during a nature study such as pinecones & pine needles, put them in a cake pan with birdseed, then filled it with water. I placed a looped piece of rope in it & we froze it. It was very cold out, so it lasted several days hanging outside on the porch. The woodpeckers & nuthatches especially liked this.

Susanna, now that she is 5 1/2 has become very interested in writing & reading & has been sounding out the beginning sound of words that she says. So, we started her Explode the Code books & she is whizzing thru them. Here is a funny thing she did-she copied some writing off Hannah's mathbook, but the book was upside down. She wrote words in the order she saw them in (upside down), but she turned most of the letters right side up-kind of curious-don't know what to think of that...so I won't. LOL

Hannah & Jonah were studying geology & made this really neat cross-section of the Earth with playdoh, toothpicks & sticky paper. I found this idea somewhere, but I can't remember where-it's from a few weeks ago.

Here's a really cool activity Susanna did with markers & water to show capillary action:

She had a lot of fun with this. Put some water in a cup. Take strips of papertowels & put a dot on the bottom of each strip with markers (about 1/4 of an inch up from the bottom) Attach the strips w/ clothespins so the paper is just barely touching the water. As the water travels up the paper, it takes the color with it-you can actually see other colors, too, as the colors separate on the way up the paper. VERY cool!

Here's a cute pic of Hannah reading her History book with Alyssa along snuggling with her.

I'm so glad the cloth diapers I made for Susanna also fit Alyssa-their body builds are different, so I didn't know if they would fit. They're side-snapping pocket diapers.

Easter was really nice-the little girls were invited to an Easter egg hunt by a family from church. There were new triplet lambs there. They (and Alyssa)were so adorable:

The lambs were there for about an hour and then went back to their mother. All the mothers there were commenting on how their poor mother must have been a nervous wreck without her babies. I'm sure the babies were glad to be reunited also. One of the dads there said, "maybe their mom is glad to be able to take a nap." LOL

I've got lots more to share, but need to get back to work on quarterly reports for the third quarter. Next year I'm going to have to do this for 3 children instead of 2! yikes. :)

1 comment:

  1. I too am way behind but hopefully when I catch up it will be as nice and newsy as yours! Your children are growing and looking lovely!
    Time just flies.......
    Those lambs are so white. The ones around here are pretty grubby looking :)

    ReplyDelete