Friday, April 8, 2011

A Day I Can Hang My Hat On

Today was a really good school day.  Everyone got along, and the kids didn't have to go anywhere.  We all sat around the table working together.  At one point, Alyssa (almost 3) colored on wipe off books,  Susanna(6) was doing math, Hannah(15) was doing grammar and Jonah(13) was doing science with me.  He was re-learning about photosynthesis, so Hannah chimed in about that.  Hannah asked me for a reminder on appossatives, but Jonah explained it to her as he had just learned about them this week.  I looked at them both and said, "well, you two don't even need me!"
Susanna finally began to understand a math concept we'd been learning for a week.
My best friend called to see if I might have time to go for a walk with her.  Since the day was going so well, I went.  Hannah watched the little girls.  It was so nice!  Plus, Chris cut my hair.  I feel almost civilized. :)  Maybe if I get my legs shaved, I'll feel totally civilized. LOL

A funny story today was that there was a mouse in a feed bin out in the barn.  Second mouse this week.  Turns out certain members of the family (the 2 middle child members) forgot to attach the tops.  Both times when Jonah went to kill the mice, his "evil" plans were thwarted by his sisters.  Today, he left the "hysterical" situation throwing his arms in the air (like his father does).  When his older sister came in the house he asked her what she did with the mouse.  She apparently let it loose-IN the barn.  He gasped in frustration & could not believe it.  He told his Dad that they need to instruct "us womenfolk" that mice need to be killed so they don't spread germs.  Hannah instructed him that CERTAIN people need to close the bins.  It was so funny.  Pat told him that he has to make sure there's no girls around when he's going to kill mice. With 3 sisters & 1 mother who are sympathetic to cute little helpless mice, that is going to be difficult for him.  Poor boy :)

Every evening when I sit down to the computer, I see so many cool pages open.  The kids often forget to close the pages they open up during their school research.  Today there were pages open for: the magna charta, origins of the word Europe, the concepts of Democracy, the Peloponnesian War, Pericles Funeral Oration...and free Gingham Paper Dolls for Susanna. LOL

So, that's the day in a nutshell-it feels like a day I can hang my hat on...those days have been few & far between this winter with all the sickness & injuries we've had.  :)  So glad to have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Saturday! I got your cbox message and wanted to let you know that the skirt should be arriving if not already! I sent it out via priority mail.

    Been a rough week for us, and I've often thought of you since I have two girls battling horrific coughs. At first we were thinking croup, but now it may be whooping cough :( I immediately thought of you and knew that this could be weeks of long nights ahead. We are all worn out and the only two that have the horrible cough are the two that we chose to not vaccinate so we pray for their immune systems to be strengthened in our choice to not vaccinate. So hard :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry the little girls are sick! 3 of my kids had it & one of them was fully vaccinated, so don't be so hard on yourself. Plus, there were tons of cases of it in our area & more than half of the kids that got it were fully vaxed. The doc said it may be a mutated virus that overrode the vaccine. I'm sending you an email w/ info to help you figure out if it is indeed W.C. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete