Monday, May 16, 2011

Antibiotics=Yeast Overgrowth=Constipation

I just want to share something that happened here.  Alyssa (just turned 3 yesterday!!) was having a really serious problem with constipation for the last couple of months.  I was giving her prune juice, fruit, veggies, more fiber, etc...but she kept getting worse.  She'd go 4 days without pooping, she'd be in pain the 3rd day, then worse pain the 4th day with a lot of pain getting it out.  I had to give her an enema once, tried pedi-lax without much help.  It seemed my only recourse was taking her to our family doc, but I knew she'd just get a prescription for miralax.  I was ok with giving her that, but I knew we still wouldn't know what was causing it because she had been very regular.  
Oh, the things that make you worry when you have children.  So, I prayed about it really hard, asking God to direct me, to give wisdom, for help. I had been praying, but not specifically.
The very next day a friend asked if she'd have antibiotics recently because maybe she had a yeast overgrowth, which is a very common cause of constipation.  I had never heard that before.  She directed me to read at Diane Craft's website.  I also sent her an email & Mrs. Craft graciously gave me advice & sent me some info that I didn't see at her website.  I had heard of her before & her book, Teaching The Right-Brain Child, but that was it.  What a wealth of information she has about children, the way they learn & the big link that nutrition has in all that.  
And apparently from all the reading I've done in books I have & websites, yeast overgrowth can be blamed for many problems that people have.
Anyway, when I really thought back to when the constipation all started, I remembered that my kids had been really sick during the winter & they got some heavy-duty antibiotics.  Alyssa's problems started 2 or 3 weeks after that.  It was mild at first, but then as I fed her prune juice & fruit, she got worse.  She was complaining about tummy aches all the time. Her little belly was bloated.
So, I took her to our beloved & most trusted chiropractor & ran all that by him & he completely agreed, adjusted her & agreed with the plan of care.  Give her probiotics twice/day, no more fruit or juice, and very little carbs so that we could starve the yeast.  He also had me give her KidCalm (magnesium powder supplement that would help her go to the bathroom). This link takes you to the multi, not the powder we used-couldn't find the powder.  Anyway, we've used these products before-MamaCalm for me, NaturalCalm for everyone else.  He also recommended activated charcoal, but I was too nervous using that not knowing how often she would be pooping yet.
I ordered the junior primodopholus from Diane Craft's website.  She said not to give GSE to Alyssa since she was 3.  The usual treatment for yeast overgrowth is probiotic for 2 weeks, then start taking GSE also.
So, it's been 3 weeks.  The first day, her tummy aches stopped completely.  Her poop came out the next day & wasn't quite so hard to get out, but there was quite the plug that came out. She was going every 3 days for awhile. She had started potty training right before this (on her own), but would poop in the diaper because it took awhile.  She now is pooping on the toilet every day for the last 3 days & it's quick & no longer hurts.  Yeah!!!  I am so excited & so is she.  The hard part was getting her used to no fruits & juice & cheese & crackers.  But, we got through it.  She also hated to drink water, so I found an herbal tea that she liked unsweetened-apple cinnamon & kept it in the fridge. She drinks tons of it.  
I just wanted to share our story in case it might help someone.  And, it just goes to show you that solutions are out there.  I'm so glad I prayed for the Lord to just point me in the right direction!

1 comment:

  1. I love when God gives us direction like that. I need to look into this supplement that you gave your daughter. Mine just holds her stools in.

    Maybe something like this would help.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete