This morning when I woke up, I got right back to work canning tomatoes. I heard a ruckus from the chickens & when I looked out the window I saw something dark chasing them close to the house. I thought it was a dog, but it was shaped funny. I thought it was a raccoon, but it was too big. I yelled & clapped my hands and the thing stopped & looked up at me. I said aloud, "what in the world is THAT?"
Then it loped off-yes, I said loped. It was a very strange looking gait-like a horse's slow lope & also sort of like an otter's gait on land. It also had a long bushy tail. I called my dh & described it to him & he said it was a fisher. So, I looked up youtubes of fishers & yes, it was definitely a fisher. I didn't know they were around here & had never seen one before. Apparently, they are quite vicious. So, now we think we know what killed all our ducks & most of our chickens (about 20 of them). It rips off their heads, takes the head & leaves the body. Killing for sport? hmmm. It never does come back for the body. So glad the dogs weren't outside at that time.
My son took a shotgun with him to do outside chores in case he ran into it. He was going to take a 22, but my dh said that would only irritate it & then it would attack. They are the porcupines only real predator, I learned.
After all that hullabaloo, I helped the older kids get ready & took them to church to meet the rest of youth group. They went to a rollercoaster park for the day. When I got back, I discovered that my remaining chickens (all 5 of them) were involved in a very serious crime. They pecked several of my tomatoes...I should have let the fisher get them! ;)
In other cute news, I overheard this:
My little girls were playing in a tent fort. I gave them a snack of apple slices, raisins & nuts. Alyssa (3) was really chowing down, so Susanna (6) said,
"Alyssa, you have a big appetite!"
And Alyssa said, "Yes, I do have a big apple slice!"
Appetite...apple slice...kind of sounds similar. lol
My life sure does give me a lot of writing material sometimes. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment