It's been quite awhile since I've blogged...I need to get back into the habit. This school year has started in the usual whirlwind way...it started with my first 2 original homeschoolees leaving for college.
Jonah (19) graduated a year ago & worked full time for a harvesting company. He decided to go to college this year in Iowa for a welding/business associates degree. He's doing really well. He's independent & focused...something that he was definitely was not during his homeschool years...unless it was something that interested him. I'm glad he worked for a year first & I'm really proud of him...he tackled the application and financial aid process mostly by himself and now that he's there, he is all business & is his usual go-getter self.
Hannah (21) is in her 4th & last year of college. She's tired of college, actually, but is very glad to finally be out of a dorm & sharing an apartment with a girlfriend of hers. She completed an internship this summer with a racetrack vet & has to do a business internship next summer, but she will be finished with classes after this school year. She's already been offered a job at an equine hospital & she is interested in that.
Susanna (12) is doing 7th grade & 8th grade levels in her subjects & requested a planner to keep track. Our rodeo season isn't done yet & she's doing really well with that...if she keeps it up, she might win a saddle. She could really use a new one that fits her horse better, so I'm hoping she stays in the lead! In October, Polo practice starts back up & she can't wait for that. She's becoming much more independent with her schooling, so that is bittersweet. Why must they grow up?? lol
Alyssa is 9 & still my silly, chatty, little flutterby. We do most of her schoolwork together. She's doing 3rd grade & 4th grade work. She likes doing paperwork & puzzles, loves to sing and do art. She's also doing well in our rodeo series, but her horse isn't quite as competitive as she could use him to be...plus her legs are still kind of short, so he doesn't really feel her little legs flapping up there on his back lol. She's excited to start back up with dance & gym in a couple weeks!
Homeschooling sure has changed for us over the years...I thought I would have more time when my olders were done, but then my husband retired from the police dept and started his own custom butcher shop, which involves my help wrapping the meat. So, he retired and now I have a much busier & hectic life! It's been an adjustment.
Today I only had Alyssa for school. Susanna went to the state fair with a friend. I ended up being busier with 1 kid than with 2...not surprisingly lol.
We had a nice time together doing school & art projects. Our homeschool group has it's annual ice cream social tonight to kick off the school year, so she's been excited for that all day long.
Here's hoping I can keep up with this blog again!
P.S. I do wish that all my homeschooling planning pinterest links still went to links that were usable. There were some wonderful free planning templates I used to use that alas, I can no longer access! Anyone have some good ones to share?
Hi Holly, so good to hear from you with an update. It sounds like your girls are doing great in rodeo! Congratulations!!! Yes, it does sound like your are as busy as ever. Our girls (20 & 23) are both now working so much that our farrier keeps asking when our horses will get off of welfare. haha. The horses are just fat pasture ornaments for now. Maybe next year.... We still have a couple rodeos to watch this Labor Day weekend but then our rodeo season is over. I can't believe the summer is winding down -- I'm just getting started. Have a blessed evening/weekend. Good to hear from you! Jane
ReplyDeleteHaha! That is funny what your farrier said! It was nice to read your comment! I also feel like summer just got started & now too soon, it's over lol. We have a couple pasture ornaments at home too. One is 36 & arthritic. The other is soon leaving for a new home with good friends of ours.
DeleteMy 21 yr old dd didn't have much time to rope this summer due to her internship, so her head horse got ridden by the younger girls to stay in shape but he didn't compete at all. Hopefully next summer!😊
Hope your girls have some time to get back at it next summer! Blessings to you as well! Holly