Monday, April 1, 2024

Rendered Pork Lard

 Tried something new last week. Took pig fat (from the butcher) and rendered it down into cooking lard. It was pretty simple to do, looked up how to do it online. I tried 2 different methods: in the oven & in the crockpot. They both worked well but I think the crockpot was easier.




This week I'm going to try my hand at rendering beef tallow. Also want to make suet blocks with birdseed in it for the birds. A friend of mine hangs out chunks of suet without doing anything to it & the birds like it that way too, which is interesting that they like to just eat the fat plain. A couple of the websites I looked up said pork & beef fat are loaded with good things, especially vitamins A, D, E and K.
I have not used any oils other than real butter, good brands of coconut oil, avocado oil & olive oil in a long time. Feels good to add more oils to my list, especially since I can get the fat for free :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment