Well, we got a very nasty flu virus about a month ago. I don't know what strain, but it was a mean one. Jonah started out with it. Then Hannah a week later, then me & the little girls. The baby got it the mildest, thank God.
I didn't take the kids in to the doctor at first-I've never had to before. But, it kept coming back. He ended up w/ a secondary infection of bronchitis.
Hannah ended up with pneumonia, but we caught that early.
They're both feeling much better. The little girls & I are feeling better, but we only got sick about 10 days ago, so I'm watching for secondary symptoms.
So, it's been a really long month.
And, to make it worse, along with all the other home remedies & herbs I was using, I tried something new that I researched at several sites & also read about at welltellme.com. It was pine needle tea-I even watched a movie on how to make it at survivalscoop.com. Hemlock is poisonous, but all the pine trees are supposed to be good. Full of vit C & other benefits, which I can't remember now.
Anyway, I had a bad reaction to it & for the first time in my life, I thought I might not see the next day. My arms & hands got weak, my lips & tongue tingled, my head felt fuzzy. After a couple hours, I started to feel better & thought I was good. Then, my heart started racing. My pulse is normally about 60-70 bpm. It went to 120 bpm. I listened to it w/ my stethoscope & it was a normal rythym, but it was pounding so hard, I could feel it throughout my whole torso, in my neck & in my ears. I really got scared. I called a friend who is a christian herbalist & he said since I didn't have lobelia, to make chamomile tea w/ 3 tea bags. It helped for a few hours. He reassured me that 120 bpm wasn't going to kill me & I felt better.
But, it was really scary. I've never thanked God for a slow steady quite heart rate before, but I did late the next day when it finally was normal again. I had to keep drinking the tea all day & once I took Mama Calm & that helped a lot. (powdered magnesium).
Before I called the herbalist, though, I was looking at the kids & praying so hard that they weren't going to end up motherless because of me doing something so stupid. I will never try making my own tea again. (except dandelion or clover, which I've done before).
Anyway, I read to the little girls during all the heart racing because I thought if I was going to die, I wanted them to remember me doing something good & I wondered to myself if my older kids knew how proud I am of them.
I've never faced my mortality quite like this before & am SO thankful that I am alive & that my heart is back to normal.
My body is a bit hypersensitive now, though. I took an herbal extract that I've taken for years 2 days after that & my heart went up again. So, I'm taking a good long break from herbals.
I'm sorry you've all been so sick! That heart-racing incident would have sent me into the same panic--although it sounds like you had your wits about you.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed holiday season!
(I used to comment here as Pam.)
oy yoy yoy, that sounds VERY scary! I was just thinking this morning, I'm not even going to bother with that H1N1 shot (all my kids have been done, it's only just become available for us now) but after reading this I'm thinking, 'um. maybe so."
ReplyDeleteGlad you are doing better!
Oh, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get the shot-I'm sorry!
ReplyDelete