Yes, it's true. The year was rife with trials & tribulations...whooping cough for 3 kids(lasted 2 months), lots of health issues for me, surgery for my dh, injuries for my dh & my son, some health problems for my oldest, tons of vehicle problems that cost lots of money to fix, my miscarriage, the sudden death of my stepfather to a heart attack after Thanksgiving, and we had to put down 2 of our old horses. One of them we had to put down a couple days before Christmas due to a twisted gut. And the year isn't leaving gracefully either. We woke up to a broken dishwasher & what was supposed to be some simple repairs on the truck turned into another very expensive big job that took up a lot of my husband's time, of which he has little as it is. I'm thankful for many things in the midst of all the trials, but right now I feel like 2011 is kicking us in the butt before it finally ends. Good riddance!
Here's my stepfather, Bill.
There were lots of trials when we were growing up. My stepfather went from single to married with 4 kids that were young & not adjusting well to a divorce, custody battles & remarriage. He did the best he could & as I grew older I discovered what a good listener & encourager he was. He never talked about himself-always wanted to know what was going on in my life . In the last 2 years, he actually started voicing emotions. He had never done that before & he said 2 things that I will always cherish. He said, "I love you, HollyAnn...and I'm really proud of the life you & Pat have made for yourselves." I miss knowing he's just a phone call away. I miss the surprise manilla envelopes in the mail full of information for me on whatever homestead problems I mentioned we were having. He was actually getting together some info for me on dealing with fishers killing my chickens. He always used to say, "did you contact your cooperative extension about that?" lol. He was very involved in Habitat for Humanity & we heard some really cool stories about Bill's service to the families that received houses at the funeral. He had to stop doing that when his kidneys became a problem...he had been on dialysis 3 times/week for a few years & was not a candidate for kidney transplant.
Here's Slugger Hanover.
He was a 28 yr old standardbred that used to harness race. He won about $190,000 dollars when he was racing. He was an amazing kids horse-one of those horses that would let the kids do anything & nothing fazed him. He had amazing facial expressions & never lost his competitive spirit...didn't like other horses to pass him on trail rides-lol. He was acting colicky last week, so we were walking him & he seemed to be doing ok, but not really getting better. Called the vet & even though he looked calm, his heart rate was 140, which indicated he was in considerable pain. His gut sounds were decreased & his rectal exam indicated that his large intestines were twisted & the vet suspected that part of his bowel was dying or already dead. It was a shock-he had only started showing signs of being off 2 hours before the vet said this. I figured he'd get tubed & be all set. We had to make the decision to put him down & everybody was a wreck. Thankfully the 3 yr old was already asleep. Our vet was wonderful with the kids & with Slugger. He didn't fall & he didn't struggle. I miss the old boy. He had the kindest eyes.
We did have a very nice Christmas weekend. I'll catch up hopefully tomorrow & post about that. :)


Sounds like a very hard year. Sorry for your loss. Glad you had a nice Christmas weekend. I pray 2012 is a blessed year for you.
ReplyDelete(((hugs))) and prayers for a beautiful new year! May it be filled with amazing blessings.
ReplyDelete...and yes, we did receive your daughter's card. I blogged about it on my {Amber on the Mountain} post. We have a letter heading your way, too!
Holly,
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered how we get through these trials and tribulations without becomming more embittered as they tend to add up in a lifetime, but the Lord seems to carry us through.
I guess it's sorta like that old "Footprints in the Sand" poem. He carries us.
This past month, at a 4H meeting, I was talking with a Mom about how Christmas must be a sad time for her and her family as her son (he was 21)had been killed in Afghanistan by a road-side bomb back in August. Another mom, sitting with us, who had lost her son at eight-years-old in a drowning accident, looked knowingly at the woman to whom I was talking and smiled and said "it's His grace." Both Moms nodded. His grace is sufficient in all things.
I pray this year that through all the pain we've experienced we may have a more closer glimpse of His heart and be able to minister to those that are going through painful circumstances. As my friend who lost her eight-year-old son once said, "I don't want all this pain to go to waste!"
Blessings to you and yours for a more joyful and prosperous year!
((hugs)), Julie
P.S. I was touched by what you wrote about your stepfather, what a gift from God to have that kind of a relationship!
I'm so sorry for the pain and loss you have experienced this year. Praying that this year is filled with sweet blessings. I love how you shared about the blessing of your stepfather.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you!
Leslie