I miss keeping a journal! My purpose for blogging was always to keep track of our days so I could look back and remember and I have been sorely remiss towards that aim.
So, I have missed the chance to blog about so many wonderul & important things, but I guess I have to just start back up some time.
Here's some cool news. My oldest daughter got her driver's license a week ago & what an exhilerating, yet scary thing that is! So far, I still require her to call me whenever she leaves somewhere and as soon as she arrives to her destination. She thinks she'll be towing a horse trailer next, but neither her father nor I, am ready for that!
Yesterday was a good school day. Susanna is loving her new science curriculum and I love how easy it is to do. It's from Answers In Genesis. We did two experiments for our topic (the Ice Age & Glaciers) and on her own, she drew a picture of a glacier calving. :) Normally she only draws horses & flowers, so this was a new thing...she even included rocks & boulders that got picked up by the ice as it moved. We watched a really cool youtube video of the largest iceberg being "calved" ever. Kind of an interesting term to use, I think.
Alyssa is a puzzle maniac. She's 4.5 and just loves doing puzzles. She's doing 28-32 piece puzzles by herself now & I am amazed at how fast she's gotten. I'm going to check out the thrift store for some new ones for her.
Jonah & I have been reading Julius Caesar by Shakespeare together. It didn't start out so well...the language was difficult at first to decipher, even with the reader's guide notations, which really are helpful. Now that we've been reading it every day for a week and a half, it's making sense and we are really enjoying reading it together. I never read it in highschool and had no idea what it was about. His history curriculum required it (Beautiful Feet) for his study on Ancient Rome. Yesterday we read way more than we planned on because it's gotten so exciting we can't put it down. He had to do something, but I wanted to keep reading and he said, "no way, not without me!"
Every so often he interjects his little smart aleck self into it also. Occasionally, he'll start reading parts in a French or Mexican accent, which makes the narration of a Roman hilarious. Or he'll interpret the way they speak in a hysterical way, such as when Antony says I have been living many more days than you, Jonah will interject with "in other words, I'm old and fat!"
He makes me laugh as much as his father lately. Anyway, reading this shakespeare play with him has been a great time.
Hannah has been house/horse/dog sitting for a friend for 3 weeks. She brought all her schoolwork with her & she lets me know everyday what she got done so I can record it. She's independent, other than needing help with an essay. She came home a couple days ago to hang out & go on a trail ride with her brother.
She bought herself a puppy-she's an Australian Shepherd. She is the cutest little thing and smart as a whip with lots of energy. She is bonded to Hannah pretty strongly, but is good with the whole family. Here's a pic of her, but she's bigger now.
We're not doing much in the way of schooling today. I have a lot of things to do to get ready for Jonah's 15th b-day party tomorrow. I can't believe he's going to be 15!! Every year I tell him (and all the kids) that I'm cancelling their bdays so they don't turn a year older, so every day he tells me how many more days until he turns 15 no matter what I say. lol He stopped believing that I could cancel his turning a year older at the age of 6. I don't know...there's something dangerous about that age. Susanna stopped believing me at 6 years old, too, unless her brother told her. lol So, now only Alyssa believes me.
Oh, it feels good to journal again!! It doesn't matter if anyone even reads, it's just good to know I can look back and remember...especially since my brain seems to be a sieve lately.
Hi Holly, I'm reading! I enjoy your posts, I think one reason is that you understand our whole crazy 4H livestock and critter thing and have much of the same thing goin' on, LOL!
ReplyDeleteThe puppy is adorable. Will it be trained to herd or work is it just for companionship?
We had a dog get hit by a car last week but she's on the mend. It was amazing how quiet it was around here with just the large neutered dogs while she was at the vet. But I just heard my husband state that she looks to be in the trash outside so sounds like she's up to her old tricks ((rolling eyes)).
Do your kids enjoy the Answers in Genesis curr., we use Apologia and are happy with it but have been a bit curious about AIG.
Spring fever is trying to pull us away from studies but I refuse to give in. It will just have to wait until next month when the garden needs to go in ;-)!
Blessings to you!
Julie
Glad that things are going so well for you and the family. Good to have you back blogging. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
wgcreates.com/josjourney/
Funny that only Alyssa believes you. Abigail would look at me skeptically, but still not believe me. I wish Abigail would be a puzzle maniac. That girl can't stay on one thing for more than ten minutes (usually five). She's a great helper though.
ReplyDeleteWe have an Australian Shepherd. She would definitely be afraid of guns I think. She's afraid of fireworks and doesn't like to touch her feet to water. She is a handful. I feel badly for her, because I just didn't get her trained in a such a way that we can let her hang with the family. Unless she's on a leash (and she's six now), she'll figure out how to get through makeshift (livestock) fences and get to the cows and do nothing but herd them. So, she stays mostly in a pen bordering the cows and herds them through the fence...which I think makes her happy, but I pictured having a dog that would follow me around and cow round up a cow or a goat if I wanted. I tried to train her, but it didn't work. I'm sure you all are much better at training animals though. Plus, I read, some Aussies REALLY have that herding thing and other don't. Sophie really does.
Your son sounds really fun. My kids love reading Shakespeare. They have no idea what it means, but they love to read it. Sometimes they get out these stories...that are like...you know...pretty inappropriate for their age and ask me to read them...and I say, let's choose a different one, but they wouldn't have any idea anyhow. And I'm not sure I'm ready to explain it to them. Especially not as a group.
Oh, but our Aussie is really sweet. She's always wagging her tail at us if she isn't herding cows or barking at strangers. And she doesn't just bark willy nilly, she's actually a good alarm dog.
ReplyDelete