Yes, that's what I'm reminding myself of. :)
I've been getting into the Christmas spirit & so have the kids. We have some snow, it's cold & Thanksgiving is done. I don't usually get into the Christmas spirit until a week or so after Thanksgiving. The little girls were so excited to do crafts. We made tinfoil trees. Cut cardboard into triangles, cover with tinfoil, glue on tissue paper/beads/glitter/sparkly stuff, etc. I remember making them as a kid.
But, afterwards, as I wiped up glue & swept up glitter & tissue paper, I thought to myself, "why was I so foolish as to promise the girls we would do a Christmas craft every day until Christmas??"
That's when I reminded myself...we're making memories...yes, memories. Hopefully happy ones. :)
Other than that, I took Hannah to work, picked her up from work, went to the post office to return a hat to Sheplers & then to JoAnn's for craft materials. It is so hard to go thru that store & not get a cart full of stuff!! I do wish we had an A.C. Moore here, though! I'd like to petition my town & say, no more dollar stores, no more gas stations. We need AC Moore & Target!!
OK, I'm done. Took Hannah to Chemistry class in the evening. Most of Hannah's and Jonah's schooling was independent yesterday.
We've had a really good couple days of school this week. This morning I am really excited to do history with the girls. Yesterday we learned about China & it mentioned silkworms. Well, of course, we must delve into that more! Here's a few links that we're going to use today:
This is a link to a free online book of The Empress & the Silkworm:
http://www.openisbn.com/preview/0807520098/
Here's a nice free worksheet with map of The Silk Road trade route:
http://www.indiana.edu/~iaunrc/content/silk-road-reading-unit-2nd-3rd-grade
And here's a Virtual Field Trip of the Silk Road:
http://www.powershow.com/view/46e1e-M2U2M/A_VIRTUAL_FIELD_TRIP_OF_THE_SILK_ROAD_powerpoint_ppt_presentation
This next link is about how colonists tried to grow mulberry trees & keep silkworms in Georgia. It's actually about all kinds of bugs...the silkworm part is about 3/4 of the way down the page.
http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/autumn07/bugs.cfm
Today, Stanley Steamer is coming to clean my couches & carpet. We've never done this before & I'm really glad to finally be getting it done. It's amazing (and not in a good way) how 4 kids, a dog & 2 cats can really make a house look lived in. I'm sure you know what I mean. :)
So glad you guys are getting into the season. We're sorta slow here. The girls and I have a Holiday craft show this Saturday and then I hope to start with all the festivities. We just recently got a JoAnns but I've gotten so used to shopping at Hobby Lobby that I rarely shadow the door of JoAnns.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for commenting over at my blog, I haven't been posting as much lately, probably due to the same reason you haven't...BUSY, lol!
Many blessings to you and yours for a wonderful Christmas season :-).
Julie
I would love to see pics of your tinfoil trees. They sound delightful! You are a good mama to be doing all those crafts. We haven't done any yet. Eek! Need to get on that - but not one a day. LOL
ReplyDelete