Monday, February 2, 2009

At The Well


“But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Titus 2: 1-5

When you read the Scripture found in Titus 2: 2-5, how do you see this playing out in your own life?

What are your areas of strength? Of weakness?

If you could set some sort of goal in relation to this Scripture, what would it be?

Well, I've been thinking about this all day & having difficulty answering it. I guess because I want to be honest, but am afraid to be transparent.
I wouldn't say I know doctrine well. I'm not always reverent. I do have a strong faith. I've learned that just because I may not feel God doesn't mean that He's not there holding me up. On the contrary I know He is. I've learned not to trust my feelings, but often my feelings do rule me. I need help with that. I also need help with patience. I used to have more patience & I'm not sure what happened to it. LOL
It seems after I had baby #4 (she's 8 months old now) I don't have as much patience as I used to. It doesn't help that I've had some issues with postpartum blues, but it is getting much better.
The amazing thing is that God does use this cracked vessel to teach good things to my children. I often pray that he would cover over my mistakes with His grace & mercy. I've seen Him do this time and time again. Lately, my oldest dd (she's 13) has brought up many things that she needs answers to. Each time I feel like I don't know how to answer, yet the right words that she needs to hear come out of my mouth. I couldn't repeat them a second time if I tried.
I don't know if I will ever feel confident at giving wise words to younger women & I don't see other women very often, but I'll be happy even if it's only my daughters that I can give any wise words to.
I've always thought being married to my dh was easy. I've never had trouble yielding and was always happy to go along with whatever my dh wanted to do. We've been married 17 yrs now & it seems it's getting harder now. I wonder if maybe before it was easy to yield because He never made any decisions that I disagreed with. Well, over the last year he's made a few decisions that I've had a hard time with & I find I'm not as submissive as I thought I was.
I've always loved being home, but for the last several months, I feel very overwhelmed and not able to keep up with everything. I get very frustrated by clutter & am in a constant battle to tackle it, but I'm never able to get ahead of it. Unfortunately, clutter makes me feel cluttered.
As for goals... I want my goals to be what God wants them to be-and that I would let God continue His good work in me until He's finished-instead of resisting & making it more difficult.

3 comments:

  1. Holly, what a beautiful post! Aren't feelings fickle?! If I could just learn to not react to feelings. Usually a new day brings a new perspective and can't remember why I reacted the way I did in the first place. FICKLE! Praise Him for being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. And thank your for your transparency! I gleaned alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you so much for your honesty! And thank you for sharing!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. "let God continue His good work in me until He's finished-instead of resisting & making it more difficult. "

    Yes! This is so key! Excellent words!

    I am so glad you joined us today At the Well!

    ReplyDelete