Saturday, March 14, 2009

I made soap!!


I am so excited. A friend of mine makes soap & she offered to show me how as I have always wanted to learn, but was intimidated by what I read in books & online.
I paid for the materials & for 17 dollars, I made 30 bars of this beautiful soap. It's scented w/ almond & a tad of citrus. The colored bars are the same scent as the plain ones. They're colored w/ baking cocoa powder!
The lye did make me a little nervous & I did wear a mask. She said a mistake people make w/ lye is pouring the water into the lye-that causes a volcano reaction. You have to pour the lye into the water. The chemical reactions are incredible. When adding the lye mixture to the oil mixture (after they were both at the right temp), the temperature went up to 180 degrees!
I beveled the edges of the soap w/ a veggie peeler & put all the peelings into a jar to use for cloth diaper laundry.
I am so hooked. I can't wait to make more!

4 comments:

  1. Fun! Those are really pretty bars of soap. I like hearing about the chickens and calves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way!! You made SOAP?!?!

    They are pretty, too!!
    I'm not brave. *L* I buy my soap. *L*

    I can't wait to see your mosaic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! So exciting! Now I want to do it too :-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEAT! Please share the "recipe"!

    ReplyDelete