Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



In my life this week...
This was a pretty routine week for the most part.  I've been trying to drink more water, but at the end of every day I realize I only drank 2 glasses instead of the 8 I had planned on.  I had planned on exerisicing, but didn't ever do that either.  Pretty much when we weren't doing school I was cutting fabric or sewing.  I have become consumed with it.  If you want to see what I've been making, I posted several pics in the post before this one. I had a new experience that I could've done without.  Alyssa could have done without it, too.  She was constipated & hadn't gone for 3 days.  She was very uncomfortable & so I gave her a pedi-enema.  That did the trick...and then some.  ;)  Overall, I'm glad this past week is over- I felt frustrated by many things & the weather is kind of getting on my nerves. :)

In our homeschool this week...
We got the basics done & a few fun things, too.  Hannah did a lot of studying for her 4H hippology competition that is today. Jonah began with his spelling tutor this week & it is great.  I sit in with him as she is teaching me how to teach him because it needs to be done every day.  It makes a ton of sense the way she does it.  I've never heard of or seen spelling taught this way.  I feel like I spend so much time helping my older kids & keeping up with my youngest, that my 6 yr old doesn't get to do as much of the fun things I did with the older two when they were her age.  So, I made more of an effort to incorporate more hands-on things for her.  She had fun playing with colors & watching them separate on coffee filters & paper towels.  I had her grow alfalfa sprouts, help me pin fabric, do more crafts, etc.  We're "rowing" Katie & The Big Snow so we had fun making maps, weather wheels & mobiles & playing with the compass so we could figure out where to label the house E, W, N, S.
 
Places we're going & people we're seeing...
This week we went to the usual-Latin, art, piano.  Jonah had a friend over Thursday-they did a lot of sledding behind the 4wheeler, snowboarding down our hill & playing wii. Susanna had 2 friends over yesterday.  They had a tea party, played dress up, helped me make tortillas & rolled them all out & tasted sap from our maple trees.  Last night Hannah's 4H group hosted a tack auction, so we all went to the auction & really enjoyed that.  There were lots of people we know there, so we did a lot of visiting with people we haven't seen since the last horse show.  We bought a couple things, too-nothing fancy-wormers for the horses, tie straps for inside the trailer, a chin strap-just odds & ends.  Today Hannah is at a hippology competition with her 4H team.

My favorite thing this week was...
 The fact that our trees got tapped.  That means Spring is here.  It doesn't look like it yet since we still have a ton of snow, but tapping trees means it's Spring to me.

What's working/not working for us...
Spelling tutoring is working for us already! :)  Jonah is already improving-yeah! 
 
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
Honestly?  Well....with all  I'm hearing about in the news, I'm feeling like the Lord is coming soon. So, some of the academics we're doing seems kind of pointless.  We're still doing it, of course-no one knows when the Lord is coming, but we're concentrating more on Bible than we were before.  This article about current events makes a lot of sense to me:  "Making Sense of it All."
 
A photo to share...
And this makes my little world all right when the big world feels crazy-attending to our own business, providing for ourselves, keeping my home & loving my family...and knowing God has us in the palm of His hand.

1 comment:

  1. My dad constantly tells me I live in "fairy land" and that I have no clue what is going on in the world, because I'm not panicked and terrified. I trust in the Lord with all my heart. God knows exactly what is going on and He knows exactly what is coming. That is a balm to my soul. If I trust Him, truly trust Him, then it is an insult for me to worry, right? We unschool our daughter and the most important thing she will learn from us is that rock solid Faith in God. He is in control, He is leading, He will take care of us. Does that mean all will always be rosy or that we just sit on a silken cushion dall day? Of course not, but it does mean that God will always be holding us tight. He never lets go, but sometimes we do. And I fully believe that when things get too terrible, and God knows His children cannot go on, He will take us home!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete