You know, it really is the simple things that are the best; the things that are free that you already have at home. I often get distracted by doing, by striving, by fancy curriculum & educational games & toys & movies...I sometimes forget about the value of the simple things...they provide fun & learning that is priceless because those simple things also tend to be relational; because it is a gift of your time.
I already know these things, but I forget when my eyes are dazzled by the glitzy. Am I the only one?
Anyway, Sunday I looked around the house for things to do with the little girls-with that thought in mind. We colored, we sat & played with the kitchen set & felt food, we read a stack of books.
I gave Alyssa a little can with hole poked thru the top & some money. She pushed coins into the slot with 1 finger for 40 mins. She did it again and again for the next 3 days. It's magical! :)
We melted crayons in muffin tins. They turned out so beautiful.
We played with magic modeling clay.
We helped Jonah check the sap buckets & let the sap drip onto our fingers right out of the tree & then licked them.
They helped me cook (which they do a lot), but I made sure I wasn't hurried-that's the difference!
I'm going to leave reminders for myself to dwell in the simple more often.
Today we are doctoring up 2 injured ducks in the house. A raccoon got into our henhouse yesterday-it left chickens without heads & the 2 injured ducks. One of them is Susanna's favorite-she is hurt the worst, but I think they're both going to be ok. It makes me want to cry to think of the terrible fright our poor hens & ducks must have gone thru. That raccoon went on a rampage of destruction. I don't understand why it took the heads & left the bodies. I'm so thankful my son discovered this instead of Susanna. She would have flipped.
I also have a funeral to go to. My best friend's grandpa died. He was 89 years old & still totally with it, but his kidneys failed. His wife is 90. Just a few years ago they went on an African Safari. They were married for 65 yrs & lived life to the fullest. Grandpa Booher was an adventurer at heart & his family said last night that he just went on the biggest adventure of his life now! The calling hours last night was a celebration of his life. I'm sure the funeral will be the same.
They took me & my best friend, Chris on a boat trip during Spring break when we were in college. We traveled by boat along one side of Florida, to the tip & then back up to Daytona. It was the best vacation I ever had. They were/are amazing grandparents-very involved with their children, their grandchildren & their great-grandchildren--and their friends. What a legacy of love they've left to their family-they really invested their time well.
I hope I do the same.




I enjoyed this post. A much needed reminder.
ReplyDeleteFinally catching up with you! Those crayons look like so much fun. I see so many people that do them over the years, and yet, I have our big bucket full of broken crayons :)
ReplyDeleteSooo sorry about the raccoon disaster :( Heartbreaking. ((Hugs))