Monday, March 7, 2011

Homestead Barn Hop

 

We finally tapped our trees!!  Yeehaw!  Here's a pic of the kids tasting the sap.  We had 2 extra kids that day:

 Did a lot of baking with my home-ground wheat (I use prairie gold & buckwheat combined).  I made 4 loaves of bread, waffles (soaked method w/ kefir) and 2 batches of tortillas.  I had a herd of little girls to help roll them out.

We sprouted alfalfa sprouts:

 I did more sewing.  I cut out enough fabric to make 15 more hats & sewed some of them up. I've got several neices/nephews/friends that I am making these for.   I also made some sensory balls out of wool scraps.  There's a local farmer's market that starts up in May & I'm thinking of participating in it.  I'll sew a variety of things, my son makes gorgeous tree branch hooks & my oldest dd has been making cloth draw-string gift bags.  I haven't decided or committed yet, but I'm thinking about it.

 Right now the order of the day is dealing with snow.  We got over a foot of snow last night.  This is the biggest snowstorm we've gotten all winter.  Figures-just when we finally saw patches of the ground the last couple of days.  :)  Winter never leaves gracefully here.  Here's a few pics I took this morning:
 This is a pic of the window-totally blocked by snow.





My husband has been plowing for hours this morning.  I don't know if he's going to make it into work or not-this was supposed to be his first day back after his surgery 3 weeks ago.  The boy is out feeding animals & shoveling.  His helper (older sister) woke up feeling sick, so he told her he'd do all her chores, too.  What a sweet boy.  The day we tapped trees, 2 of the little girls were crying from cold hands as they fell in the snow.  He had them on the counter warming their hands with warm water & blowing on their hands for them.  That sure did warm my heart!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, there's nothing like the taste of fresh tapped syrup...It's the best if you can get it!
    Deb ( from the barn hop today )

    ReplyDelete