Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Getting ready to Garden

I'm so excited. Here in my New England state it takes awhile before we can safely plant anything. Well, it's almost safe to plant & I am getting my raised beds ready since I didn't do it last Autumn when I should have. I was a little busy w/ a young baby who was kind of "high maintenance."

I got all my seeds ordered recently from Heirloom Acres. I always order from them-they have great service & I trust their seeds.
I hope to learn how to save seeds this year.
One new thing I'm trying this year is growing chick peas. My family loves them & the organic canned ones are expensive. I won't buy the others because of the additives/preservatives. I buy them for a healthy snack for my kids who eat them out of the can.
My goal is to also can them if they grow well for me.

I just love the Spring!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Thanks for following my blog!
    Not sure if chickpeas would grow here, however we do grow many types of beans to eat fresh as well as dried. I even dry greenbeans( for seeds as well as for the bean) What zone are you in?
    I think Spring is my favorite season, especially after a long cold winter.
    Thanks again for visiting our blog and please keep a coming! *wink*

    Blessings from,
    The Never Done Farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly-

    We can't safely put anything in the ground until mid May usually (except peas or cool weather plants with row covers). Plus it's often soupy wet until then.

    I just saved my Broccoli and my Yellow Bean seeds and some Corn from last year. I figure I'll stretch myself a little more each year. I'm glad I have the greenhouse done, but I'm behind too and I think I'll have to buy a few starts.

    Cathy (At Home On Basketflat)

    ReplyDelete