Monday, October 24, 2011

Nice Weekend!

We had such a nice weekend!  Saturday was kind of chilly & damp, but it was perfect for organizing & cleaning, baking & cooking!  There's a quote I love that says, "there is nothing like staying at home for true comfort." by Jane Austen and it is SO true.
That's how I felt Saturday...until my schedule morphed into errands & picking up a friend of Hannah's.  But, that wasn't until afternoon & I didn't mind.  Hannah watched the little girls so I could do errands by myself & get it done quicker than usual.   When I got home with the groceries & Hannah's friend, we found her & Susanna doing an exercise tape together-it was pretty cute.
Pat & Jonah, on the other hand, spent the day dragging trees out of a neighbor's woods with the tractor & winch...after Pat got up before sun-up to work on the dump trailer.  The brake system on that was giving him trouble for the last 2 weeks & he couldn't figure out what the problem was.  He tinkered & replaced things, even called a friend over to help...but still, it wasn't right.  So, Saturday at 4:30 we both got up to have coffee & talk.  He said he was going to fix that dump trailer if it killed him so that he could use it for firewood-he needed to deliver wood to 3 different people.  Well, he finally got it all sorted out by 10:30 & then went on to do firewood until after dark.  He's one of the hardest working men I know.
I know he's feeling a lot of pressure & I'm praying so hard for him & helping out as much as I can.  He needs to have 2 surgeries, but won't until firewood is done, this winter's hay is paid for & we're ready for the mountains of snow we'll get this winter.  
Sunday two of the girls had a horse show.  It was a lot of fun.  Everyone brought a dish to pass & it was totally stress-free.  Pat & Jonah were doing firewood, so they weren't there much (they did come for lunch, though & visited with friends), and Pat kept Alyssa with him.  Susanna got a 3rd, a 4th and a 6th on her shetland pony.  Hannah got one 1st, two 3rds and a 5th.  The cool thing is she's never shown english before, never jumped before & never showed with this particular horse before.  LOL.  She showed our new horse, Red, to see how he'd do in a horse show environment.  He was a perfect gentleman...and he is quite the ladies man.  All the girls & women were all over him-he's just that cute!  I was proud of Hannah for trying something new.  She's always ridden Western & mainly does gymkhana, but this year's drill team did an English pattern, so she rode English for that & liked it enough to try showing.  It'll be fun to play around with that, but gymkhana is her first love.
That was done by 1:30, so we came home, unloaded and then helped with firewood-stacking & loading the trailer.  Jonah had a friend come over, so us girls took over his job since he's worked so hard all weekend.  Then, I went with Pat alone to get some hay & we had a great conversation.  And then we had a nice talk w/ the oldish farmer we got our hay from.  What a nice man...it was just one of those conversations I really enjoyed...older farmers & their wives are some of my favorite people to talk to.  Our butcher & his wife and our horse trainer & his wife are like that, too.  It's just good talking!  I seem to identify with them more than most people my own age.
When we got back, we stacked some more wood & when Pat went to deliver it, he took all the girls with him.  The boys were out in the woods all afternoon, so I had time to myself...something so rare that when I have it, I don't know what to do first!  So, I went to the garden & got 2 raised beds weeded, picked basil, peppers & raspberries (not done, though) and then put on some nice music, made dinner & tidied up.  It was wonderful!!  It's amazing how 2 hours to myself totally refreshes me.  I so enjoyed just being alone & freely moving about without anyone wanting anything...and I did not feel one bit guilty. lol
I made a yummy dinner...beef is the main course, of course, since we just butchered one of our cows.  :)  Plus steamed broccoli & a salad.  We've very much limited our intake of white carbs, sugar & processed foods and it has been a good thing for our health.
I have more to talk about-things I've thinking about, but everyone is waking up & I know I'll be too distracted to write clearly, so I'll leave with these photos:





Oh, wonderful, wonderful...and yet again, wonderful!   ~Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment