Hannah & I have been going round & round trying to figure out her future course of action. Actually, she's in a big rush & I'm not.
I do remember feeling the way she feels, though. 10th grade, everyone's talking about colleges & majors & what they want to do or be. Ever since she was 6, she's wanted to be an equine vet. But, I want her to enjoy being 15, almost 16. She's stressing herself out thinking about everything she wants to do. Right now, she's got highschool, a part-time job at a market as a cashier, helps out a professional horse trainer every week (where she rides his training horses & he teaches her how to do it the way he does), is the secretary of one 4H group, the newsletter writer for another 4H group, attends youth group when she has time, she rides/trains 2 competition horses that she shows/barrel races with...not to mention being a part of our family, which is very busy...and she has a ton of friends that she likes to hang out with. She wants to do it all-she wants to embrace every new & exciting experience she learns of, that she comes into contact with...and I SO admire that about her...but I worry, as her mother, that she's setting herself for over-commitment & burn-out. Maybe not. I hope not, but I can't help but be concerned.
So, I told her, "you don't have to start college as soon as you finish highschool. You can compete with your horses still, you can travel, be a part of a ministry you can do anything. You really only have one day at a time-live that day up! Pray for God's guidance, wisdom & plan for your life...and then let it go."
I know that is easier said than done...I do remember being where she is right now. Waiting is so hard. Her two big concerns are:
1. vet school takes 8 years-that's why she doesn't want to wait, but wants to start taking college classes part time next year...and our vet said she can start working for them when she turns 16. They wanted her as a volunteer this year, but their liability insurance wouldn't allow it.
2. if she becomes a vet, what if she someday becomes a wife & a mother-how will she be a mom & work as a vet?
I'm glad she's thinking about that & the only thing I can say is...it concerns me, too...but if she prays about it & waits for an answer and that answer is, indeed to become a vet...then He will also provide a way. I do hope she lives close enough that I can help! She has so many talents & opportunities, especially in the horse field, that there really are many possibilities for her.
So, we continue to research her options...dual-enrollment? college research. scholarships available? online classes for electives? If anyone has suggestions or has been there and done that, I'm all ears!
I read an interesting article that someone on fb linked to.
A Homeschooler Goes to College
I wish I hadn't read the comments, as many of them were incredibly narrow-minded & hateful. I can't believe people still believe all the ridiculous things they believe about homeschooling & homeschoolers. Such antiquated thinking. I did learn something from one of those comments, though. It was written by a college professor who was positive towards HS-ers-he said they were motivated, polite, interacted in class...but many didn't know how to communicate why they believed the way they do...that they weren't used to antagonistic challengers. He was talking about Christians, I assume. So, I would have to say that Christians that went to PS most likely have the same problem-I know I still do. I was talking to our Latin teacher about this. We discussed how our beliefs are no-brainers for us, how often trying to explain things to people who just want to debate & are close-minded to thers' beliefs is like casting pearls before swine or arguing with fools...
...but, in college when writing supportive papers or getting involved in debates...well, that is a little different. So, I really appreciate what that college professor said. I've read something similar from another college professor in a full article, too. I have to find that. So, I'm doing some research on worldview & apologetics & debate. I think Hannah will most likely run into this if she continues to go forward with becoming an equine vet. Lots of science classes that will support evolution as fact instead of the theory that it is. It amazes me that people can think that if you know anything about scientific facts. I do not have enough faith to believe in the assumptions that evolution is based on. Now, none of us observed God create the earth, either, but I do have enough faith to believe in that...and no one is asserting that creation is a scientific fact, either, although if you do some research beyond gov't science textbooks, you will learn of compelling evidence that supports what's in the Bible...guess what-much of it is the same evidence that evolutionists say support their theory-LOL.
Anyway, we are certainly entering a new phase in our home-education journey...it's a bit of a scary one, requiring more faith & patience on my part and her part for sure. And it's all jumbled up with a Jr. highschooler, a 2nd grader & a 3 yr old. On my kitchen table at any given time, can be found: fingerpaints, paper clippings, crayons, pre-algebra, chemistry, college brochures, popsicle sticks, dried up cereal, algebra 2, markers, physical science, counting bears, jelly, science experiments, art projects, transcript worksheets, a new barrel racing bridle, modpodge, coloring books, etc.
It's no wonder I feel like I'm deliriously spinning some days. It's like a roller coaster ride, I guess...high speeds, loud creaking noises, eyes closed tight, hands clenched on the safety bar & screaming...and then the end of the ride & a sigh of relief...but I haven't gotten to that part yet. :) I'm trusting that it's there, though!! lol
Right now, I'm still learning to enjoy the ride & trying to unclench my hands & pry my eyes open a bit ;) I really want to enjoy the whole ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment