Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What Happened to Legos & Nerf Guns?

My dearest boy is turning into a young man!  Some days that fact is more real than others.  Yesterday, we spent the day catching up on chores around here.  Everything seemed to be in a state of disrepair or chaos...so we took things in hand with a to-do list that should have been spread out over 3 days...at least.


Well, after we got all the inside things done (Hannah did get some schooling in, too), I took Hannah to work & then Jonah and I tackled a pile of wood that needed to be split & thrown in a pile.  It was probably about 3 cords, I guess.  Jonah did most of it, but I helped him with the second half.  I didn't do much-just rolled the wood close to the splitter for him & threw wood in the pile.  He was so chivalrous.  He kept asking me if was ok & was the wood too heavy.  Then, I gave him a piece that had mold on the end of it & he said I needed to make sure to wash my hands due to the mold (I'm allergic to pcn....but not THAT allergic. lol).  Then, at one point I went to get a very large piece of wood & he jumped up to get it & told me it was too big for me & he'd get it.  LOL


I said to him, "I thought I was out here to help you?"  He said, "you are, Mom...but I don't want you to hurt yourself...and you're a very big help since I don't have to get up to get every piece of wood."


I really enjoyed myself doing wood with him.  He's such a funny kid...and he's not trying to be funny.  However, when he tries to be funny, he's usually not. ;)


But then, here's the kicker...the man factor.  After we got done, he disappeared for a bit & then showed up in front of me all in camo with his bow & arrows.  He said, "Mom, I'm going hunting for the evening, ok?  I asked Dad."  
That's when it really hit.  He's slightly taller than me, can do a man's share of work & now he's HUNTING...for DEER.  


WOW.  


He saw one, too-a big 8 point buck that came pretty close to him.  He said it was close enough to shoot, but there was a good deal of brush in the way, so he didn't want to take a chance of just wounding it or spooking it.  He said it looked at him, looked him in the eye & turned around & slowly walked away.  So, he's hopeful that it will come back to his hunting spot.  He was pretty excited just at having this interaction.  I so hope & pray he gets a nice deer-that would totally rock his world!  And nothing makes me happier than when that happens for my kids.

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to you! He sounds like a fine young man. Never worry that the affiliation with nerf guns will wane. My 18yo still has fun with them from time to time. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, you're obviously doin' something right! He sounds to be such a gentleman, what a testament to you and your husband's parenting.
    I pray he gets that deer, too. Please post about it when he does ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{Hugs}}} Praying he gets that deer! I know how excited those "men" get when they get that good buck.

    ReplyDelete