When my 4 kids were all little, I remember older ladies telling me this...usually at the grocery store in the check out line while I was feeling like a circus master of my very own 3 ring circus...more like 5 rings because I was also a guide dog puppy raiser and usually had a learning puppy with us on errands too.
It never bothered me when these ladies said this to me though. I know it makes some moms very upset because they post about it on facebook.
But, even though my hands were too full to appreciate the reality of them someday being empty, their advice always jarred me...someday I WILL miss this, maybe not all of this, but the essence of it, the fullness of it, the loud crazy joyful sound of it.
And I do, miss it.
I did take the advice to heart, though. Some people say "that'll never happen to me" but I'm that person that says to herself, "omg that could happen to me!"
So I reminded myself frequently, someday this stage/phase (whichever one each kid was in at the time) will be over & I want to be present for it, I want to remember it...and I took ungodly amounts of pictures, much to the chagrin of my kids...but then they always wanted to see the pics/vids afterwards lol
I won't be the older woman telling young mothers to "enjoy every minute, it goes by so fast" while they're in the midst of unloading groceries with kids crying or trying to grab candy in the checkout line.
But I'll be thinking it.


No comments:
Post a Comment