Hannah & Jonah have also memorized all the capitals of the states this week. Last year I had added free software to our old computer for quizzing on geography-it is an amazing program and the kids love it-it includes all the parts of the world w/ quizzes & map exercises. Jonah has started the flags of the world on his own. Here it is:
Hannah has been concentrating on learning the elements of the periodic table from our laminated chart, our Chemistry book & from here:
Elements & Periodic Table games
Susanna & I have been having fun doing preschool-y things. We did some activities to go with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie :
Today, we're going to make chocolate chip cookies & make a collage of things that begin with the letter "M"
She made this cute thing (I drew the pic for her & she decorated it)
We're going to do the tactile alphabet that I read about at HOTM also. In the next picture, she's doing preschool games on the computer. It took her 2 times on the computer to master the mouse, which amazed me. 
She loves ladybugs(and we actually have some in the house here and there), so I got a bunch of books on ladybugs from the library & printed off activities to do about ladybugs from homeschoolshare. We'll do that next week.
Here's Alyssa's accomplishment this week-learning to sit without someone sitting behind her:
Ok...sigh...I'm going to end now as I've been working on this for 2 hours due to several interruptions. I got up at 5:00 thinking I could have some quiet time, but 10 mins after I got up, 3 of the children got up, too. And the race is on...LOL...
One thing being a mother has done for me-is to show me how far I still need to go. How little patience I have, how interruptions make a spark of irritation flare up in me...how my perspective is often off, and how much I still think I am entitled to things-not actual things but like quiet moments, the ability to complete something without being interrupted, organizational containers that stay organized. LOL
Read this post by Holy Experience on The Order of Love...this really resonated with me. I need to read and re-read it. At first I was reading it not knowing where it was going, until I got to the part about the pancakes...I've been there...exactly there, but it didn't teach me the way it taught this blogger. I'm glad to read & learn it now...now to apply it to my own breakfast episodes.



I feel that same entitlement you talked about. I get very frustrated with the lack of anything for me - time to think, read, study, etc. But God has been so faithful to teach me how, while those things are extremely nice, they aren't necessary to grow closer to Him, to know Him better. I still wish for those me moments (too often sometimes) and fight that internal battle of frustration and impatience over the lack of them, so you're not alone there. Thankfully, neither of us are, because God gently reminds us both where He's asked us to be in those moments. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I'm glad some of the words there that He has been speaking to me, spoke to you too.
And I really appreciate some of your homeschool thoughts too! I'm going to be homeschooling our Gracie and feel a little overwhelmed at the thought - I really liked your ideas here - got anymore? ;)
ahh...the baby is getting so big already. I'm so amazed.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the continued prayers. It's still a journey of faith and trust and so difficult for me.
I cannot wait to jump back into homeschooling like I used to do!
~Mrs.Cuddles