Thursday, May 13, 2010

Blessings

I love it when God gives me things that I didn't even ask for, but have wanted! A few years ago our cows got loose & completely trampled my rhubarb patch to smithereens. Well, 2 weeks ago my dh drove by a house on our road that was having hgeavy equipment work done on it & stopped to say hello. They offered us 5 large rhubarb plants because they were going to get bulldozed. I'm SO excited! They're doing really well, too-aren't they beautiful?

I can't wait to make Amish strawberry rhubarb jam!!! And Strawberry-rhubarb pie. And rhubarb iced tea. YUM. Jonah helped me do all the work of transplanting them.

Another blessing is free book shelves from Pat's job. They were actually going to THROW THEM AWAY. That boggles my mind. I don't have a pic of them, but they are perfect, fit right in the place that I wanted to have bookshelves & hold a ton of books.

Then, a neighbor, who is a charter boat captin went on a fishing tournament and brought us a big cooler full of wild salmon. My dh filleted them & here's Susanna labeling them:

Pat's going on two fishing tournaments with our neighbor next month on lake Ontario. Another blessing is a friend gave me 3 bags of little girl clothes. I love hand-me-downs! There were some really cute things in the bags & even better-lots of cute socks in great shape.

Another blessing is the rotary mower. We have a riding mower, but it broke last fall & it isn't repaired yet. A friend saw this mower at a garage sale & thought we'd like it, so bought it for 10 dollars & then we paid him. I used to use one of these as a kid. I LOVE mowing with it. It's quiet, doesn't use any energy & is great exercise. I try to mow every day. So, far we've been able to keep up with the lawn area around the house & barn. I need the rider for the grass all around the pastures, though. Pat's going to fix it this weekend. Jonah likes mowing with it, too:

Last week as I was mowing, I came across a honey bee on a flower. I stopped & waited for it to get done & fly away. I never would have seen it on the rider. I like this mower so much that when Pat went out of town for a couple days last week he told me not to get grass clippings on his side of the bed. LOL I told him I had the pillow all fluffed for my mower. lolol

Here's Alyssa's little curly cues. And isn't this dress adorable? Thrift store, two dollars, baby! LOL

Alyssa is going to be 2 yrs old on Saturday. I can't believe it. She & Susanna have been playing so cute together. Susanna dresses them both up in tutus & Alyssa follows all her motherly instructions-well, when she wants to anyway. :) Here they are together:

I have lots more to share, but I'd better get going and come back later. I've missed blogging!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. LOL

    What a wonderful list of blessings raining down. Your rhubarb look absolutely amazing! I used to have 3 that did not survive - but I replanted this year and I hope they do better.

    A freezer full of salmon!!! Wealth, practically beyond measure. :o)

    I love those mowers, for all the same reasons you listed. I bought one many years ago, but with no experience, I had a really hard time putting it to good use. I think it needed sharpening, and I think you have to keep up on it every day, as it does not handle long grass well. I did not keep up on it well enough.

    I missed a lot of blogging myself in the last months, but I'm trying to get back into regular posting again.

    May the Lord bless you and yours.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! God always provides in the best ways!!!

    That is the kind of mower we had when I was a little girl. I wasn't allowed near it though. There had been an accident with that kind of mower, an operator under the influence and a curious cousin who subsequently lost the top two digits of almost all his fingers on his right hand. He is now in his 60's and is an incredibly accomplished organist but the trauma affected the family. Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to push one :)

    I love Alyssa's curls, can't believe she is TWO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rejoicing with you in how God has provided. Just this past week we got a boatload of classic literature from someone who was going to throw them away. It's always fun to see God provide in those ways.

    ReplyDelete